Lothar Windels’ work focuses on furniture and product design ranging from mass-produced to one-of-a-kind pieces. Born in Germany, 1967, he earned his BID degree from the Rhode Island School of Design in the United States and his MA degree from the Royal College of Art in London, UK. He runs his studio in Boston and teaches as an Assistant Professor and Graduate Program Director in the Department of Furniture Design at the Rhode Island School of Design.
Lothar Windels’ projects include the ‘Joseph Felt Chair’ featured in exhibitions in Berlin, Boston, London, Milan, Munich, Tokyo, and Zurich. His work has been published in several books and magazines including: Abitare, Design Report, Frame, ID Magazine, Interni, MD Moebel Interior Design, Metropolis, Newsweek, and The World of Interiors. The Canadian Office Furniture Manufacture Nienkämper produces his ‘Brackett Chair’, which won the Design Journal Platinum Award for Design Excellence. His other clients include: Inflate, Parentesi Quadra, Swarovski, Umbra, and the Vitra Design Museum.
Academic Research/Areas of Interest
- Material Research: Low-tech, hands-on investigation to discover innovative design solutions.
- Design for Production: Utilizing contemporary materials and processes to achieve simplicity that supports human interactions.
- Ergonomic Seating: Dynamic support of the human body to create a better work environment that fosters well-being.
- MID, Royal College of Art
- BFA, Rhode Island School of Design
- BID, Rhode Island School of Design
GRADUATE FURNITURE DESIGN II
GRADUATE FURNITURE DESIGN THESIS
JUNIOR STUDIO I