Markus Berger is on sabbatical through spring 2013.
Markus Berger is a co-founder of the Int|AR Journal and Assistant Professor at the Department of Interior Architecture at the Rhode Island School of Design. He holds an MArch (Diplomingenieur für Architektur) from the Technische Universität Wien, Austria. He is a registered architect (SBA) in the Netherlands. Prior to coming to the US Berger worked as a designer in Austria, New Delhi, India and New York. He taught in an art and architecture school in Karachi, Pakistan, where he also collaborated and exhibited as an artist. Berger then became a project architect and designer for UNSTUDIO, in Amsterdam and worked on several international projects. He currently also heads his design firm in Providence, IO Design Inc. which maintains an innovative practice with a focus on designing space where traditional boundaries between the inside and the outside are broken down and transformed, drawing back on nature, art and spirituality into spatial design.
Academic Research/Areas of Interest
- Space and place
- Adaptive reuse
- Nature as designer (bionik + biomimesis)
- Solar design
- Relationships between science, nature, art and architecture
- Int/AR -Interventions and Adaptive
- 'The Spirit of Umbau,’ … on sustainability in Interior Architecture
- An Integrated Approach to Passive Solar Design
- DIPA, Technische Universitat Wien
INTRO TO DESIGN STUDIO II
PRINCIPLES OF ADAPTIVE REUSE