Policies + Disclosures

« back to list

Double Majors

A double major represents the completion of work in two areas but for one degree. For example, a student who majors in graphic design and industrial design will receive only one BFA. It is rare for a student to double-major at RISD due mainly to the amount of extra work involved. It requires at least one extra year of study, often more than that. Students interested in pursuing two majors should first meet with someone in Student Affairs or Registrar to  assess the feasibility of this pursuit. Then, the student meets with both academic department heads to gain their written permission to formally declare both majors. One major will be designated “primary” and the other “secondary”. Students generally pursue both majors simultaneously rather than sequentially, hence the intention to double major must be declared by the middle of the junior year. Both majors must be completed before the degree can be earned unless the student formally “undeclares” their desire to double major. A student may withdraw their double major declaration by notice to the Registrar’s Office. Double majors who receive financial aid should seek counseling early from the Financial Aid Office, particularly in regard to aid eligibility in the fifth year and beyond.

A double major is different from a double degree. Students in five-year programs, such as Architecture, receive two degrees because they are in formally approved and structured dual-degree programs. At present, there is a Brown/RISD dual-degree program which is only open to students directly admitted to that program, and a RISD dual-degree program in Architecture (BFA/B. Arch).

Providence's riverfront park offers a great setting for drawing and sketching, just across from RISD's Mandle Center for
Living and Learning.