The Residence Life staff strives to foster a community that empowers you, as a student, to explore your personal and artistic development in an open and inclusive environment. When you arrive on campus our talented Resident Advisor and Orientation Leader staff members will welcome you. They will offer activities and support to ensure your successful transition to RISD. Orientation programs will teach you more about RISD, help you meet new people, and start your college experience at one of the most prestigious art and design schools in the country.
Housing Application Process
Incoming New Students complete a Housing Application through the RISD Housing Portal. Beginning in early May the RISD Housing Portal is open for fall students to complete applications and begin searching for roommates. All Housing Applications must be complete by the deadline given.
To sign into the Housing Portal through the Residence Life website:
or directly at https://starrez.risd.edu
You may find information about housing choices at:
Housing information and items to note before you begin your housing application:
- It can take up to two weeks from the time you receive your username and password from the Admissions Office for open access to the Housing Portal. Please plan accordingly. If you are worried about completing your application by the deadline, please contact the Office of Residence Life at 401-454-6650.
- All First Year and Transfer Students are required to live on campus per the RISD Residency Requirement. However, students who are married, over 21 years of age by September 1, or who live with a parent or guardian within commuting distance of campus may request a waiver of this requirement. To request a residency waiver, please complete the form found on this page.
- New Graduate Students may request housing accommodations in Charles Landing. This facility is open 12 months a year to meet the needs of our graduate student population.
- All students who complete their housing applications will receive a housing assignment by July 1.
- All communication from residence life will be directed to your new RISD email account. Please check this regularly for important messages.
Please contact the Office of Residence Life at 401-454-6650 or email@example.com if you have any questions about housing. We look forward to assisting you with your accommodations on campus.