Services is responsible for the daily delivery of interoffice and
United States Postal Service, and Parcel Services such as UPS, Federal
Express, Airborne Express and the United States Post Office to the RISD
College community and for the preparation of outgoing mail. No personal
packages shall be handled by Campus Mail Services.
Student Mail Boxes / Service Window
Student mail boxes and the mail service window are located in the Design Center located at 30 North Main Street.
The package pickup area is located in the basement of the Design Center.
Hours for window service and package pickup*
Saturday, Sunday and RISD holidays)
*hours are for academic year
Peter McMaster, Mail Services Supervisor
Phone: 401 454-6319
Fax: 401 454-6320
How to Address Incoming Student Mail
Rhode Island School of Design
2 College St, BOX#________
Providence, RI 02903
- Do not ship any boxes until August.
- Make sure that all boxes are shipped to THE UPS STORE. Due to limited storage facilities and volume at the start of school if you ship directly to RISD your boxes may be turned away. Packages can be sent directly to students at their RISD mailbox after September 7.
- Packages should be no larger than 24”x24”x24” and should weigh no more than 70 pounds.
- Packages will be conveniently available for pick up at the dormitory quadrangle at 55 Angell Street when you arrive on Saturday, September 7.
You will receive a notice from mail services that includes:
- Shipping labels to be used on all boxes you send. You can make copies of the shipping label if there are not enough.
- A set of instructions and recommendations on how best to ship your personal belongings.
- Please do not use UPS to ship your boxes to campus. You may mail boxes directly to your assigned RISD mail box.
- Summer package pick-up hours are Monday – Thursday 11 am – 3:30 pm and Friday 10 am – 1 pm
RISD Inter-Departmental Mail
Mail will be delivered to all campus department locations between the hours of 10:00 am and 1:30 pm, Monday through Friday, excluding weekends, university holidays and severe weather conditions. Packages will be delivered after the initial mail run is completed. Signatures are required for packages.
With each delivery of mail to an office, interoffice and USPS mail is picked up for postage metering and distribution. All outgoing mail should be ready for pickup during the time of daily mail delivery. Outgoing mail shall be separated in the following manner:
Outgoing mail requiring postage – grouped together with department account number
CERTIFIED MAIL must be sealed and the proper USPS forms attached
Separate inter-office mail
Express and all expedited mail should be identified and affixed with an identifier
Mail Services personnel cannot transport office furniture or materials between departments. For help with this type of service work requests may be submitted to the RISD Facilities Department at workorders.risd.edu.
For large freight deliveries (over 150 pounds or needs special equipment to unload) it is the responsibility of the ordering department to inform Purchasing and Facilities, in advance, of the need for special arrangements. In most cases a work request will need to be submitted to secure the equipment and personnel need to accept the delivery. The work request must include the delivery date, estimated time of delivery and deliver location (room number). A department representative must be present to accept delivery and confirm condition of product. The costs related will be borne by the ordering department.