Paola Demattè is Professor of Chinese Art and Archaeology in the History of Art and Visual Culture department at Rhode Island School of Design. She holds a Laurea in Chinese Language and Literature from the Università degli Studi di Venezia and a Ph.D. in Archaeology from the University of California, Los Angeles. She has written on the origins of Chinese writing, pre-dynastic urbanism, archaic jades and funerary art and on Jesuits’ activities in China. Prof. Demattè has also curated an exhibition at the Getty Center and co-authored an award-winning volume on Sino-European exchanges in the 16th through the 19th centuries (China on Paper, Getty Publications 2007).
Academic research/areas of interest
Paola Demattè specializes in the Neolithic and Bronze Age archaeology of China, prehistoric art and East-West contacts and exchanges.
- LAUR, Universita Degli Studi Di Venezia
- MA, University of California, Los Angeles
- PHD, University of California, Los Angeles
- HAVC-H101-03 History Of Art & Visual Culture 1
- HAVC-H101-04 History Of Art & Visual Culture 1
- HAVC-C632-01 Sem: Ancient Chinese Art/archaeology
- HPSS-C632-01 Sem:ancient Chinese Art&archa Ancient Chinese Art & Archaelogy
Apparel Design Architecture Ceramics Digital + Media Experimental and Foundation Studies Film / Animation / Video Furniture Design Glass Graduate Studies Graphic Design History of Art + Visual Culture History, Philosophy + the Social Sciences Illustration Industrial Design Interior Architecture Jewelry + Metalsmithing Landscape Architecture Literary Arts + Studies Painting Photography Printmaking Sculpture Teaching + Learning in Art + Design Textiles