Accreditation in Architecture
In the United States, most registration boards require a degree from an accredited professional degree program as a prerequisite for licensure. The National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB), which is the sole agency authorized to accredit professional degree programs in architecture offered by institutions with US regional accreditation, recognizes three types of degrees: the Bachelor of Architecture, the Master of Architecture and the Doctor of Architecture.
A program may be granted an eight-year term, an eight-year term with conditions, a two-year term of continuing accreditation, or a three-year term of initial accreditation, depending on the extent of its conformance with established educational standards.
Doctor of Architecture and Master of Architecture degree programs may require a non-accredited undergraduate degree in architecture for admission. However, the non-accredited degree is not, by itself, recognized as an accredited degree.
RISD’S ARCHITECTURE DEPARTMENT OFFERS THE FOLLOWING NAAB-ACCREDITED DEGREE PROGRAMS
- MArch (non-accredited undergraduate degree + 111 credits)
- BArch (156 credits)
The next accreditation visit for both programs will take place in 2023.
NAAB CONDITIONS AND PROCEDURES
- NAAB conditions for accreditation, 2020 edition
- NAAB conditions for accreditation, 2009 edition
- NAAB procedures for accreditation, 2020 edition
- NAAB procedures for accreditation, 2012 edition (amended)
CAREER DEVELOPMENT INFORMATION
- The Emerging Professional's Companion
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- American Institute of Architecture Students (AIAS)
- AIAS, Toward an Evolution of Studio Culture
- Architect Registration Exam Pass Rates by School
- Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA)
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB)
RISD’s Architecture department accreditation process documents are available to the public by request. Please send a written request to:
Rhode Island School of Design
20 Washington Place
Providence, RI 02903